Friday, June 11, 2004

Wireless LAN on a Fedora Linux Box

Okay, I've set a new goal for myself. I am running Fedora Core 2 Linux (2.6 kernel) on my desktop box (Athlon 2600+ CPU, 1 GB RAM, 125 GB hard drive, assembled it myself last year) and currently access the net through the onboard Broadcom chipset-based NIC on the Asus A7V8X mainboard. But I want to connect using a wireless networking card I bought some time ago so that I can set up anywhere in the house without having to string CAT5 cable. At the moment, my cable modem is in the basement, so that is where my desktop is. But I've been having such wonderful use out of my Sony Centrino laptop, running WinXP, that I want to duplicate the experience with Linux.

Here are the particulars: After doing an /sbin/lspci, I see that my WLAN card (D-Link AirPlus XtremeG DWL-G520) is sporting an Atheros chipset, specifically the AR5212. Now to go to googling...

Warning: I obsessed on how to get direct rendering going under Fedora Linux for my ATI Radeon 9500 Pro card for quite a while before finally solving the problem. My friends at work can tell you how tiresome it got, listening to me blather on about it. It was easy under Gentoo Linux but I've since switched to Fedora (nee Red Hat). In other words, this could take a while. You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment