Friday, March 03, 2006

My Letter to Cardinal Mahoney

I am annoyed about a NY Times editorial from this morning and the response by the Catholic League this afternoon. My reaction was different from that of the Catholic League. I even wrote an email to the Cardinal and thought others might be interested in reading it too.

"Cardinal Mahoney,

"The NY Times said this morning that you have 'instructed' Catholics to defy a proposed law aimed at reforming immigration in this country. I am no longer a member of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, although I was in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But I am a lifelong practicing Catholic.

"It amazes me that you and many of your fellow members of the USCCB squeal in righteous indignation about such issues that are so peripheral to the mission of the Church and so obviously related to your tendentious liberal political views.

"A more important question to address might be the following: Have you finished the needed reforms of the seminaries and your Archdiocese so that the sex scandals that were finally exposed in 2002 (and continue to reverberate to this day) can NEVER happen again? We, as lay Catholics, are STILL reeling from the shock of what genuinely appears to be a dereliction of duty on the part of many members of the USCCB.

"Or, is it easier to instruct law-abiding Catholics to defy the law than it is to have a public spat with Mother Angelica over liturgical reform? (Yes, I am one of MANY Catholics who bought and read her recent biography.)

"I would not presume to instruct a Cardinal but it seems like you might want to finish what is already on your plate before asking for more.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment