Monday, October 10, 2005

The "To Be Read" Pile

This is a list of some of the most anticipated (by me) books I own and mean to read some day. They will probably stay on the "to be read" pile for some years because each requires a large investment in time and care to read and, with the job and family, I just don't have as much of those as I want. When and if I retire some day, I'm going to seriously and methodically read them. In the meantime, I love skimming through them, reading short passages at random. They may or may not be the most profound books ever written, but they appeal to me, giving me a sense of "that's the coolest thing I've ever seen"...

  • Rudy Rucker, The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul
  • Roger Penrose, The Road to Reality
  • Frank J. Tipler, The Physics of Immortality
  • Stephen Wolfram, A New Kind of Science
  • Carl B. Boyer, A History of Mathematics
  • Douglas R. Hofstadter, Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
  • Alexander Star (ed), Quick Studies: The Best of Lingua Franca

I would very much like to be made aware of other books that readers of this blog (cough, if there ARE any readers of this blog :-) think would similarly interest me.

Later, I will post the titles of some books that I've read in the past and have had the greatest effect on me. A quick example: Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment