Sunday, December 19, 2004

President Bush is Man of the Year

President Bush has been named Time Magazine's Person of the Year. Mr. Bush has turned out to be a helluva President, something that would have surprised me during the Republican primaries of 2000. I voted for John McCain in the Maryland primary in spite of the fact that the nomination had been clinched by that time, late in the season. I did NOT want another President George H.W. Bush, for whom I voted in 1988 because Ronald Reagan endorsed him, but against whom I voted in 1992. Some who know me may characterize my antipathy toward the first President Bush as that of a frustrated conservative. I may or may not be willing to concede that point.

But with the events of September 11, 2001 and after, "Dubya" has, to my way of thinking, demonstrated a constancy of policy in hunting and killing the terrorists worldwide. Unlike his father, the current president has a grim determination to see this war through and I very much back him in that. Relentless pursuit of Al Qaeda and their enablers, in Iraq and elsewhere, is how this war is being prosecuted and how it will be won.

No comments:

Post a Comment